Friday, July 31, 2009

Vegetable Soup and Wrap Up

Lauren’s Veggie Soup
This is a vegetable packed soup that freezes well. I use a giant pot and cook a ton, freeze half in pint containers and enjoy for months!

  • 1small bag of carrots, peeled (optional) and sliced
  • 1 bunch of celery, chunked
  • 2 medium onions, chunked
  • 1 small head of cabbage
  • 1 15oz can of low sodium normal diced tomatoes
  • 8c of vegetable stock
  • 3/4c barley, 1c of lentils and/or egg noodles (whole wheat ones are yummy)
  • Spices (throw in some dill, parsley, rosemary, oregano, thyme, whatever! A store brand "zesty" blend is also REALLY good in this)

  1. Chop veggies (except cabbage)
  2. Place everything but cabbage and barley/lentils/egg noodles in pot
  3. Bring to a boil
  4. Reduce to simmer, cover, cook all day
  5. 1 hr before you want to eat cut cabbage into 1 in strips and add to soup
  6. 30-45min before you want to eat add in barley and/or lentils
  7. If you want noodles pre cook and add in before eating
Wrap up
This week has been about basics. Those homemade recipes that fill you up on a cool day or that you want when you are feeling ill. Although easy, the foods in the past week have layers of flavor and can be changed and added too easily.

When feeding any of these to a baby or toddler make sure to decrease the salt, cut up and/or puree the food, and let it cool down. I would skip the broth unless your child is a bit older.

Ty loves beef, but only if it is tender, has a lot of flavor, and cold. I usually cook a dish like the ones listed above, take out some beef and veggies an hour before, chop the bits really small and then cool it in the refrigerator. Although Ty has tried broth I never give it to him because of the mess :)

My Weight Loss
This week I lost more than my goal (which is 2lbs a week). Last week I lost, but not as much as I wanted to :( I think it was because we went out to dinner and ordered out (for our anniversary) and had a lot of yummy leftovers which lasted for a while. I am finding it easy to snack at this time of year because of all the fruit available. The farmers market, as well as larger grocery chains, have so much local fruit that tastes wonderful!

4 comments:

Ann said...

I'm ready to try this recipe when it's a little colder. Or maybe now with the fresh stuff -- and freeze. I hate cooking, but love making soups!

Lauren said...

I love making soup because it is not really just cooking. You just throw a bunch of crap in a pot and cook it. I don't know if you like mushrooms, but they are good in this too, as are a ton of onions and what ever else you have around :)

Ann said...

Ouch. I still love making soup. And mushrooms.

Lauren said...

I did not mean that to be negative, I just wanted to say that soup is great because it always comes out tasting good! If you mess it up you can fix it without a problem :)